Tuesday 5 March 2013

It is a rite of passage that has been done for hundreds of years

MacKenzie, D. 2008. Faroe islands told to stop eating 'toxic' whales. NewScientist. Available from:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16159-faroe-islanders-told-to-stop-eating-toxic-whales.html
Maris. Save the long-finned pilot whales. change.org. Available from:
http://www.change.org/petitions/save-the-long-finned-pilot-whales
Whaling in the Faroe Islands. Wikipedia. Available from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaling_in_the_Faroe_Islands

In the first few weeks of our conservation biology class we briefly covered the topic of social justice. An example of social justice is allowing local natives to do whale hunts because they have a right to do so. A year or so ago I stumbled upon an article about pilot whales (falsely known as calderon dolphins) in Denmark. As you read below I am sure you will feel just as disturbed as I felt if not more about this "native hunt".

 
Around 950 pilot whales are forced into the bays of the Faroe Islands (change.org).  The animals are hit several times severing their spine in many places with a  thick rope that has a sharp hook on the end (gaff). Below, in Table 1 are some stats showing the amount of whales that are caught annually, there is no source listed for this other than wikipedia, so it may not be accurate. Although, they are said to be from The Faroe Island Statistical Office.
                              Table 1. The amount drives per year, and the amount of whales killed.
                               note: there is usually one main whale hunt
File:Hvalba beach whaling, Faroe Islands.jpg
This brutal slaughter goes on annually. It is a male rite of passage into manhood in Faroese society. A male is not considered to have reach manhood until they have taken part in the ritual. The Faroese people also feel it is a part of their culture and history (MacKenzie 2008).

The whale meat may not actually be consumed after this event. In recent years the chief medical officers of the Faroe Islands stated that the meat has high levels of mercury and contains too many other toxins to consume (MacKenzie 2008).

There has been a lot of controversy over this issue and many people have blown this "native whale hunt" slightly out of proportion. Many of the blog sites and internet newspaper sites have said other objects have been used such as harpoons, rocks, and sharp knives to kill the pilot whales. From the few hours I spent researching the web I believe that this is false. There have also been inaccurate stats released describing 2,500-3000 pilot whales being killed during the annual hunt. I believe the stats are closer to the wikepedia version.


This begs the question, should the Faroese people be allowed to do pilot whale hunts?

Word Count: 359

11 comments:

  1. You would think that there would be some way around the cultural ritual. I understand that many ancient rituals hold high importance to natives, but maybe they could make it "greener" by symbolically killing just one whale..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are so disturbing! I understand that its a cultural ritual, but it seems so unnecessary. I wonder if the men kill more than one whale each. Maybe if they had a limited number of killings it could be more controlled. I'm also curious to know if it causes a huge decline in these whale species; if it's been going on for a long amount of time, maybe it could be a form of "control" to make sure the numbers don't get too high? I'm sure that's probably not the case but I thought i'd throw it out there anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I sometimes find myself torn between animal rights and the fact that I'm never going to become a vegetarian, but on this issue there is no contest! Stop the hunt. If they are not even going to eat the meat afterwards, then this is an example of humans being wasteful and pig-headed. Sometimes tradition is wrong and must be reexamined, especially if the reasons for the hunt no longer exist (i.e. food!). There are other rights of passage available, and in my opinion, this doesn't even count as one anymore as they are using modern boats, and possibly technology, which is short-cutting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we cannot outright say "stop the hunt", but rather seek to slowly change perceptions of the native peoples from the inside out.

    On a side note -- what "native" or "cultural" things do white, non-aboriginal people get away with that others might find questionable?

    An interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw these pictures a while ago. I honestly can't believe this is a ritual. I don't agree with it at all, but how easy would it be to talk to these people? If they have been doing this for many years it doesn't seem like they would just stop because of concerned conservationists. You never know though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tough subject for sure. It seems like the information out there is contradictory and inaccurate, which I can understand as it's a pretty emotional issue. If the whales aren't being used for food then it really is incredibly wasteful. It shows nothing of working with the land as I presume our first nation's do. It doesn't seem respectful at all. And I agree with Connor to some extents about how some cultural traditions should be reconsidered, but I don't know to what extent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I just looked up their status on IUCN and they are "data deficient", so who knows if they are endangered or not.

      Delete
  7. Wow.... those photos made me sick. I understand the importance of culture and history and everything, but the way they are killing these whales is not the traditional ways they would have done it in the past. They also are not using the whales after killing them as they would have in the past, so really haven't they already changed their traditions. This just seems ridiculous to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. if this ritual is sustainable, and the whale population is unaffected by it, then I guess it's ok, but there should be a good use for the carcasses

    ReplyDelete
  9. pretty intense topic. I agree with alex. if it is sustainable i suppose they can continue. but we dont have to like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is terribly controversial. In my opinion, I have never believed in preserving a native hunt. Although it's 'social justice', I strongly believe that these people who take part in such hunts have the same social responsibilities that we do in preserving biodiversity and species. In addition, these indigenous peoples often have legends and stories of their ancestors... I always wonder why their 'native hunts' can't be preserved in this way, through legends and stories told to their children and grandchildren alike. This kind of hunt I find extremely disturbing and disgusting. Especially given that the meat cannot be consumed post-hunt and literally goes to waste. This is senseless killing, in my opinion. Of course my opinion is not what a lot of people want to hear, but I figure it's alright to express it for this class.

    ReplyDelete